Military History and the LGBTQ+ Community: Websites and Bibliography
Use the following list for more information on military history and the LGBTQ community:
- Making Gay History Podcast
- National World War II Memorial Website: Coming Out Under Fire
- GLSEN: The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network
- Adelman, Marcy. Long Time Passing: Lives of Older Lesbians. 1st ed. ed. Boston: Alyson Publications, 1986.
- Berkin, Carol. Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence. 1st ed. ed. New York: Knopf, 2005.
- Bérubé, Allan, John D'Emilio, and Estelle B. Freedman. Coming Out Under Fire: The History of Gay Men and Women in World War II. 20th anniversary. ed. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2010.
- Blanton, DeAnne, Lauren M. Cook, Project Muse, DeAnne Blanton, and Lauren M. Cook. They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers in the American Civil War. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 2002.
- Bronski, Michael and Beacon Press. A Queer History of the United States. Boston, MA: Beacon Press, 2011.
- Estes, Steve. Ask & Tell: Gay and Lesbian Veterans Speak Out. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2009.
- Freeman, Susan Kathleen and Leila J. Rupp,. Understanding and Teaching U.S. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History. Madison, Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin Press, 2014.
- Gundersen, Joan R. To be Useful to the World: Women in Revolutionary America, 1740-1790. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2006.
- Huffman, J. F., Tammy S. Schultz. The End of Don't Ask, Don't Tell: The Impact in Studies and Personal Essays by Service Members and Veterans. Pittsburgh: United States Dept. of Defense, 2012.
- Humphrey, Mary Ann. My Country, My Right to Serve: Experiences of Gay Men and Women in the Military, World War II to the Present. New York: HarperCollins, 1990.
- Mayer, Holly A. Belonging to the Army: Camp Followers and Community during the American Revolution. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1996.
- Shilts, Randy. Conduct Unbecoming: Gays and Lesbians in the U.S. Military. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1993.